Issues

ZF2-17: Upgrade dojo in svn externals to version 1.6

Description

Please upgrade the dojo external in the svn trunk to version 1.6 Current branch: http://svn.dojotoolkit.org/src/branches/1.5

New branch: http://svn.dojotoolkit.org/src/branches/1.6

dojo 1.6 fixes many compatibility issues with Internet Explorer 9.

Thank you.

Comments

I'm postponing this issue. At this point, we are not planning another 1.X release, and, as such, are trying to limit the number of changes in trunk.

Particular to this issue, Dojo 1.6 does things quite differently with regard to dijits, and simply changing the externals to point at the new branch will result in non-working code for developers using dijits.

Might one be so bold as to interpret the comment above like: "will be included in 2.0 in the nearby future"? Imho, this would provide a very valid reason to research upgrading to 2.0!

More likely, not considering inclusion of Dojo 1.6 until 2.0 at the earliest. We won't go GA on 2.0 until late in the year.

Attached Zend_Dojo as related component

I'm marking this as postponed; we will not make a change prior to ZF2, and if/how we will manage 3rd-party vendors in ZF2 is still to be determined.

Dojo just released version 1.7 and the roadmap is (according to: http://dojotoolkit.org/blog/dojo-1-7-released ):

Work on Dojo 1.8 is already underway. We’re anticipating a 1.8 release in Q1 2012, and 2.0 in mid-late 2012.

Can we expect a formal statement of the ZF development lead in this matter? It shouldnt be necessary to maintain several Dojo versions alongside eachother to be able to keep using ZF.

I dont intend to sound harsh, but at the moment i have no plannable upgradepath for my GUI toolkit because of this, and that is becoming a burden since i very much want (and with newer browsers need) to use the new Dojo featureset.

I agree, since ZF proudly held the dojo banner for so long, and even had the benefits of building popularity upon it, "if/how we will manage 3rd-party vendors in ZF2" is simply too vague a statement. It would be nice to at least point at which direction ZF if going, since so many developers followed the tortuous dojo road because of it. I understand working on upgrading dojo on ZF 1.x wouldn't be productive for ZF2. If we can't get 1.7, at least Dojo 1.6 integration would be very good in ZF2.

I'd just like to add my strong vote for this upgrade. Now that a ZF 1.12 has been announced surely dojo needs to be updated. There are so many new features and bug fixes in Dojo 1.6 / 1.7, but I am reluctanct to upgrade on my own and then to have to rewrite code when ZF does the offical upgrade.

We'll address dojo and/or other js toolkit usage in post 2.0.X releases, and likely via modules instead of the core framework.