The manual is written in Docbook XML and requires a Unix-like operating system with the standard GNU toolchain and xsltproc or a similar XSLT processor to build the source XML into the HTML that is shipped with the Zend Framework distributions.
On Windows, you can compile the docbook using Cygwin. See: http://www.cygwin.com
Installation steps for Cygwin:
- Choose "Install from Internet", click [Next]
- Choose the directory where you want to install Cygwin. Leave the other options on their "RECOMMENDED" selection. Click [Next]
- Select a directory where you want downloaded files to be stored. Click [Next]
- Select your way of connecting to the Internet. Click [Next]
- Choose the most suitable mirror in the mirrorlist. Click [Next]
- Select the following packages to install:
- Devel > automake1.9
- Devel > libxslt
- Devel > make
All dependent packages will automatically be selected for you. Click [Next]
- Sit back and relax while Cygwin and the selected packages are being downloaded and installed. This may take a while.
- Check the option "Create icon on Desktop" and "Add icon to Start Menu" to your liking. Click [Finish].
To build the documentation into HTML:
- Go to a shell prompt, or Windows users will run Cygwin (you can double-click the icon on the Desktop or in the Start menu if you've chosen any of these options at install-time)
- Navigate to the directory where the documentation files are stored using the traditional Unix commands. For Cygwin users, drives are stored under "/cygdrive". So if your documentation files are stored under "c:\ZF\documentation", you'll need to run the command "cd c:/ZF/documentation/".
You're under a Unix environment, so don't forget all paths are case sensitive!
- To compile the doc, go to the directory in which manual.xml is located and run:
If you're encountering errors while trying the build instructions above...
- Remove all files from the html/ subdir except dbstyle.css
- Remove all files from the root dir except manual.xml, configure.in, Makefile.in and README. The important one here is entities.ent.
- You can optionally remove the "/autom4te.cache" and the "/build/docbook-xsl" directory
- Try to build again following the instructions given above. If it still throws errors, post a message to the email@example.com list.